Saturday 3 March 2012

I Can't Believe it's Not Spring, Winter

There is a saying in Tamizh that gets abbreviated to the phrase "pregnancy resolution" which is meant to be any resolution that is broken almost as soon as it is made. The story behind this goes something like this. Every pregnant woman (apparently in my mother's generation and/or earlier) would exclaim, in the throes of labour, that she would never again get pregnant. Given that it was common in my mother's mother's generation for couples to have 10 kids, obviously the resolution was not honored. Similarly at the end of every back breaking effort of starting plants from seeds, I promise myself "never again". And every now and then I break that promise.
Egg Carton Green Houses to the right

So, I broke the promise once more today. But for the first time in my life I am trying to start a herb garden. Don't blame me, the "I can't believe it's not spring, winter" made me do it!! Old egg cartons have been turned into miniature green houses, along with teeny bio-degradable pots, which can directly go in the soil once the seedling are strong enough to transplant. The only room with a south facing window has been turned into a plant nursery. Again!

Each of these guys contain an indeterminate number of coriander,  fenugreek or basil seeds!
If all goes well, I will have a forest of organic basil from which to make pesto whenever I choose and whole bunch of fenugreek leaves for my omelettes!
Larger "green house" made out of two $0.99 pot dishes

Let's hope these guys survive me and the circus that I call my family and the eternal groundhogs under the deck!


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.

2 comments:

Shalet Jimmy said...

All the best :D

Agnija Bharathi said...

Thanks Shalet Jimmy!! I hope this wont turn out to be too back breaking! :)