So I am bored of eggs. Bored. Bored. Bored. But, the other day I was at work very early and had no time for home made breakfast so I had to buy something quick. The only thing on the menu that had any protein for an ovo-vegetarian was the egg ranchero. So, I went ahead and ordered it (without cheese). It basically had an omelette-esque thing inside a large pita bread, smothered with refried beans and regular tomato salsa. I ditched most of the bread and ate the rest.
So here's my version, without the bread.
- 2 eggs
- butter for "frying"
- black bean hummus -- preferably some mexican flavor
- home made salsa: (tomatoes, green chillies, cilantro, chopped up)
- Beat the eggs lightly
- Add crushed rosemary if using dry or just add the leaves, if using fresh
- Heat a pan, add a little butter
- When butter melts, pour the beaten egg mixture
- Cook like an omelete on both sides
- Remove from pan when done
- Plate it and spread some black bean hummus one one half of the omelete
- Sprinkle a liberal hand of homemade salsa on the hummus
- Wrap the other half (where you did not spread the hummus) over this
- Eat like a burrito
- You can use other hummus types: chickpeas, edamame, etc
- I used chickpeas, chipotle hummus this am. Came out great!
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.