I read somewhere that pairing lentils and pistachio nuts gives you a complete protein profile. So I have been thinking about how to combine these two in something awesome. Today, was the day that I finally managed to make this salad.
- 3.25 cups of cooked whole lentils. Not mushy, just cooked.
- 1/4 cup salted, roasted pistachios-- shelled
- 2.5 cups of chopped carrots
- 1 garlic pod
- juice of 1/2 a lime
- 1 Tbsp cumin seeds
- 3" piece cinnamon stick
- 1 tomatillo (completely unnecessary -- I added it because I had it)
- You could sub celery or green/red peppers for above
- EVOO -- 1/8 cups or less
- salt and pepper corns to taste
- To make the cooked lentils: I soak a whole batch of whole lentils in water for a day or a little more. Rinse and then cook it all in a pot of water. I don't use pressure cooker for this, because pressure cookers will make the lentils mushy. It should be possible to cook it in the electric rice cooker, although I have never tried. I store the cooked lentils in the freezer and use as necessary.
- Put 1/8 cup of salted, shelled pistachio in a blender or food processor and pulse to chop it unevenly and set aside.
- Chop the carrots and microwave them for about 2 minutes -- cooking them slightly lets the beta carotene be more accessible.
- Chop the other veggies-- tomatillos or green pepper or celery
- Combine all of these ingredients in a large bowl.
- Squeeze a half of the lime into the blender
- Add the olive oil.
- Drop in the cinnamon sticks and cumin seeds
- Add a few pepper corns and a little salt
- Give it all a whir in the blender until it looks creamy. Some of the cinnamon pieces and peppers will not have ground up well. That's what I like since I like to see some texture in my dressing.
- Add the finely chopped garlic into the blender and give it a final whir to incorporate everything together.
- Pour dressing over the salad and mix thoroughly. Enjoy!
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.