Tuesday 29 May 2012

Bambi goes Bananas!

My yard is under constant attack by several critters: hares/rabbits,
White tailed bunny
deer, groundhogs, woodchucks (which is another name for groundhogs) and whistle pigs (which is also another name for groundhogs). When I started my garden here, deer were the biggest Eaters of Everything. I learnt very soon that roses and hostas were deer candy. So I fenced the backyard in to keep the dogs in and the deer out and moved the hostas and roses inside.

The day after I returned from my recent trip to India I transplanted some bushes from my raised garden by the front door to the main front garden, wondering why it was that I had not done this earlier. The next day, this is what I found:

uprooted plants
Something had uprooted these plants in its feeding frenzy. The culprit had left enough unmistakable foot prints for me to see:

guess who came to dinner?
I also noticed that the lilies that had grown to a nice height had also been lopped off at the top. Deer love tender vegetation and apparently these asiatic lilies are also deer candy! I had saved most of them last year by bringing them into my backyard, but some bulbs seem to have escaped me.

Deer pruned lilies
That evening I transplanted these guys to a pot to recover from the injury and left them in the back yard until such time as a bed is readied for them!!!

This morning when I went on a regular trip around the front yard and noticed this:
daylilies: chomped down to a nub!

Grrrr..!

They did it last year, and I thought it was because they were too hungry from the crazy winter. This year, they had let the things go until now. Apparently, day-lilies are not safe either. So, I will have to relocate all of these guys -- that would be 6 more plants for which I have no soil!

But there is some good news in the yarden.  The lilies I saved from Bambi last year are flowering pretty
asiatic lilies
And the red hot pokers that I thought were gone for good are actually poking out. Take a look at the chocolate sunrise, which is, well, rising.
Chocolate Sunrise Unfurling
And there is always the bowl of peonies to keep me happy





Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.

No comments: