Tuesday 24 January 2012

Broiled Tempeh-Kale Salad with Pineapple-Mango Dressing

My dinner on Sunday was inspired by the Pineapple-Mango Tempeh which I have had the good fortune to eat several times and which I totally love. Although in general I do not eat packaged foods or soy, I do make an exception once in a while for tempeh.

I searched the web for a good pineapple-mango sauce that I thought I would like and did not find anything except this one here:


So I decided to wing it from here and create my own.

Pineapple-Mango Sauce

1:1 ratio pineapple:mango (fresh or frozen)
rice vinegar
salt
chilli powder
Thai style chilli (optional, I added it only because I had some sitting there in the cupboard from before the dinosaurs became extinct.)
sesame oil
Lemon juice

Other stuff

Your choice of tempeh 1 packet
Kale a little less than a bunch.
Sesame seeds
Oil for sauteing Kale.

Method for the Sauce:

Heat a medium size pan or wok with a little water.
Add the pineapple and mangoes.
While they are cooking add some rice wine for tartness (adjust to taste).
A pinch of salt and some red chilli powder (adjust to taste).
I added in a tea spoon of Thai Style Chilli (which, I don't think is essential)
Bring to a boil and then bring to medium heat and cook down to a chunky sauce-ish consistency.
Just before taking it off the stove, add a small amount of lemon juice and some sesame oil

While the sauce is cooking, cut tempeh into 1/4 inch thick strips and place in a toaster oven and set to broil at about 300F. Keep an eye on it so it does not get burned.

Heat a pan and add some sesame seeds to it and dry toast them until they pop.
Heat another pan, throw some oil in it and saute Kale with salt until it is bright green. Keep the pan covered while it's cooking.

Make a bed of Kale, arrange the tempeh on it. Pour some sauce over it and sprinkle some sesame seeds.


Notes:

1. The package informs me that I had consumed two servings of tempeh.
2. I think I will steam the tempeh a little before broiling and perhaps even smear it with olive oil or coconut oil before I broil it.
3. That pineapple sauce is awesome, it completely camouflaged the omelette this morning!

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.

No comments: