Wednesday 23 February 2011

Play-doh Pillayaar

Two Vinayak Chathurthi's ago, I had a sudden urge to sculpt my own Pillayaar. Now I am not religious, but the idea of making something with my hands really appeals to me, so I got all worked up with excitement as the idea took hold in my head. I looked around the house and realized that I did not have anything but an old block of re-moldable clay. Clay which could be worked and reworked into different shapes as per one's fancy each time. Apparently I had had this idea of sculpting something,  a while ago. This clay had gone quite bad in the sense that it was too tough to work any more.

So I rummaged around some more in the closet and came upon a few tubs of colorful play-doh. Not really the colors I was hoping for, but good enough for the purpose. So, I started out by doing the mooshikar in pink(!!, sorry mooshikar!) clay with pepper corns for eyes and pine needles for whiskers. Unfortunately, I cannot seem to find any photos of him around. Then the Pillayaar itself, in all sorts of colors. When I was all done, this is how he looked.



By the time I took him from where I made him to the "studio" (a.k.a, the bathroom!!) to be photographed,  he fell on his face a couple of times and had a mild shoulder dislocation that botched his looks a bit.


So, why am I reminiscing about something that happened in August 2009? Because I have this intense urge to create something with my hands again and unfortunately have not been able to go anywhere near play-doh or papier mache!

Edit: Ha! Found him!




Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.

6 comments:

Harish P I said...

Great job..

raji said...

Hi Agnija ,I came here through Bala sir's blog.Nice to see your creation.It's pretty.So what about your next one?On hold??

vivek said...

Your creation is very devotional and mind blowing too..... thanks a lot

Agnija said...

Thanks everyone! For the next project, I have a larger sized papier mache Ganesha in mind. But, realistically speaking, I am not sure when I will actually be able to make it!

Shalet Jimmy said...

Wow...nice try........

Agnija said...

Thanks Shalet!